Friday, October 17, 2014

Lincoln Square Art Walk

This weekend is the Lincoln Square Art Walk and it's the first time that the Rare Dirndl Designs Studio is participating in the event! As a venue, I worked closely with local artist, Daniel Cleary and will have his artwork displayed in the design studio windows all weekend!






Daniel Cleary was born in Tipperary Town, Ireland. Having developed a passion for painting at an early age, Daniel went to art school in London. From there, he moved to America, became a citizen and has been living in Chicago for the past 30 years.

"My art depends very much on what I take in through my eyes. In seeing, I try to get to the heart of my subject. I am stimulated by what I see and held in thrall by it -- as Delacroix has described it, 'as a snake by a snake charmer'. The artists I have tried to learn from have all had their original stimulus from nature: Cezanne, Van Gogh and Matisse, even Mondrian who talked about plastic values which I understand as a kind of tactile presence. I try to make the subjects I paint or draw immediate to the senses."


To decide which paintings he would display in the windows, he stopped by and took a look at my work and thought that the portraits and still life paintings featuring flowers would compliment the Rare Dirndls nicely. Also in the window is the Love Dirndl







I designed this dirndl in 2010 after the world lost a beautiful member of the German Community. Fellow Donauschawben dancer and friend, Katie Buchert, lost her battle with breast cancer inspired the Strength in Pink Collection. The love dirndl is still available and the proceeds from that collection benefit the Young Survival Coalition. We have already donated over $800 in Katie's name and can't wait to give more. October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and we hope to support a great cause and local artists this month with our window display.

Although the studio will not be open this weekend, if you are in the Lincoln Square area, please take a wander around the neighborhood and check out all the local artist's work and the small businesses. 








No comments:

Post a Comment