Tuesday, April 9, 2013

In the Details: Piping

Dirndls have some details that are different from your everyday sundress, like piping. Many dirndls utilize piping as a subtle detail that adds a pop of color or an elegant touch. I create all my own piping in order to make each pieces unique and cohesive. The colors can match perfectly and brings the whole look together. Here's how it's made!


First I start with the fabric. I use scraps to save on fabric and create less waste. Piping must be cut on the bias, at a 45° angle. Using my ruler and rotary cutter to cut the fabric into strips.

 


The next step is to sew all the strips together on the straight grain. Sewing the strips on the grain (so another 45° angle) makes it less bulky and the seam a little less noticeable.


I take the extra time to press open every seam to ensure it looks clean and perfect. 



Finally, I run it though the machine placing a bit of yarn in the center.


 And thats it! Piping finished!

Although the process is rather simple, it is very time consuming. I make all my own, because buying it is a tricky thing. You can buy piping at your local fabric store. It comes in small packets, in a variety of popular colors. However, like I mentioned before, I like my piping to match perfectly to the rest of the dirndl. To buy custom piping you need to buy at least 500 yards and since it takes a maximum of 3 yards per dirndl, 500 is a bit much for me. So I make it myself. Its tedious and sometimes boring, but it makes the finished product that much more... Rare!


This dirndl is a great example of how piping can add a subtle detail, create a cohesive look and add a pop of color.

Cheshire Cat Dirndl





Ever wonder what dirndl style you are? 
Take our dirndl quiz and find out! Simply type in your email here  

No comments:

Post a Comment