Monday, March 25, 2013

Münchener Trachtentage: The American Invasion!

March 16th & 17th was the first Münchener Trachtentage and I am very proud to say that I was one of the Ausstellers (exhibitors) at the event! Everyone who came to visit the booth was very surprised to see an American there... selling dirndls. "But Erika Neumayer is such a German name!" They were really impressed by the designs and the fact that Americans also embrace the traditional dress of Bavaria.
The Rare Dirndl booth at the Münchener Trachtentage

The venue was really fabulous! The MVG Museum is usually a street car museum, but during those two days it was transformed into a "everything tracht" extravaganza. The ambiance of vintage street cars and the industrial look of the building really added to the atmosphere and created an old meets new feeling, much like many of the dirndl designs. 

The Biergarten within the Trachtentage!

Many of the other exhibitors were also excited to learn that there was a market in the US for dirndls and that I was taking that bull by the horns. I met so many great people and got to meet many of the German designers that I have been looking up to for years! 

Me with Andschana from herzhirsch and her husband 


The fashion show was, hands down, the most exciting part of the weekend for me. In Chicago, there are not many (or any) opportunities for me to participate in professional fashion shows... so seeing my work walk down the runway was exhilarating and (this may sound silly) but I felt like a real designer! The bright colors and fun prints looked great on the runway and the crowd responded well to the pieces.
The Leopard Dirndl making its runway debut

Dark Purple Trachtenshirt and Adventurous Alice Dirndl on the runway

Although our sales consisted mostly of lederhosen bracelets, the experience was worth the trip! The German dirndl market is worlds apart from the American market, but now I can say that I've dabbled in both. I can't wait to see what the next few months bring and I'm most excited to apply what I've learned to my designs, collections and business. 

The Rare Dirndl Team!

Check out some of the sites from some of the other exhibitors that I love! I've starting working together with some of them and can't wait to see what the future will bring. Also check out the full trachtentage photo album on the Rare Dirndl Facebook page.


http://www.alpenherz.de
http://www.alpenkult.com

http://www.durbandirndl.com

http://www.dekadenza.de
http://www.herzhirsch.de



Ever wonder what dirndl style you are? 
Take our dirndl quiz and find out! Simply type in your email here  

No comments:

Post a Comment