Saturday, February 27, 2010

Doing my part

Since i started studying fashion i have struggled with how i was going to be able to help make the world a better place while doing what i love. Before i started designing the Rare line, i knew that i wanted to donate part of the proceeds from my line to a charity. I decided to work with the Global Goods Partners. "Global Goods Partners (GGP) is a fair-trade, not-for-profit organization dedicated to alleviating poverty and promoting social justice by strengthening women-led development initiatives for marginalized communities in Asia, Africa, and the Americas."

This charity is doing something that is so meaningful to me. They help women continue to be creative and support themselves and their families by selling their handmade goods on their website, www.globalgoodspartners.org. GGP gives these women an opportunity to do what i do. I hope that my efforts make a difference for theses women as well has help others in this country realize how luck they are.


(Trying my hand at stamping Adinkra fabric in Ghana)

While visiting rural Mexico, Ghana and India, I was able to see the incredible textiles and artwork that impoverished women create. Each product is filled with so much love and culture. I understand that not everyone has a passion for travel and a love for cultural artwork, but i do and i want to share that with others who may not normally have the chance to do so.

I can't wait to help the GGP and continue to learn, travel and encourage others to do the same.


(Fabric saleswoman in Kumasi, Ghana, Africa)

No comments:

Post a Comment